Monday, December 20, 2010

"I Can't Remember..."

When I was fresh out of college I worked full time as a preacher. It frustrated me to no end when middle-aged and older Christians would tell me "I can't remember scriptures as well as I could when I was younger." I accepted their statements as true.

Now that I have reached middle-age I have observed something about remembering scriptures: USE THEM OR LOSE THEM.

I know, that is no great new revelation. And what it implies about these Christians is not new either.

People don't forget what they use. Teachers USE eye-reading skills looking for the unforgettable "I-don't-get-it" look. Timber cruisers don't forget how to calculate board feet in standing trees. Knitters don't forget their basic patterns. Anyone USING their skills do not forget the fundamentals.

What does that tell us about Christians who forget fundamental passages? Does it imply they are not active? Are they USING soul-saving passages like John 3:16; 15:14; Matt 10:32; Luke 13:3,5; Acts 17:30; Mark 16:15-16? Are they teaching how to stay free from sin using Rom 6:1-12; 12:1-2; Col 3:5-10? What scriptures do they USE, or make reference to, when someone has died (1 Thess 4:13-18, 2 Tim 4:6-8--my fav)? Are they answering the question "Why does God allow the good to suffer?" with memorized scriptures or stories (from Job)?

I also have noted over these few years how those same people were variations of hard-packed soil, shallow soil, or thorny soil. Nor have these individual tried to keep things fresh in their minds, as you, my faithful readers have. (I frequently thank God for you, whoever you are, wherever you live.)

So as a blog writer, should I concentrate on teaching the fundamentals again or should I, outside this medium, find ways to help Christians to get busy? 

Please tell me your opinion in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Place your comments here. They will be moderated. I reserve the right to reject any comment before displaying. I will email you (if I have your address) if there is a problem.