Saturday, June 9, 2012

Too Much Like Me

(Writer's note: Quoted text conversation. Used with permission.)

Daughter: Called the dealership. They know you are coming.

Dad: Just left Donaldson.

Daughter: Oh boy!!! I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas when they know they're going to get their favorite present. Would it be too much to ask you to bring it by here on your way back?

Dad: I told your step-mom you would probably want to have me bring it to your office. Ha! Ha! Should be no problem.

Daughter: Oh thank you so much!!! You know me so well!!! Probably because you raised me!!

Dad: Yeah. You are TOO much like me!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

As a former teacher, I developed a skill of knowing parents before I met them. How? Kids mirror their parents. Want to know the parents? Study the child.

Fact: Parents are not perfect prototypes.
Fact: Children learn patterns and paradigms from parents.
Fact: Parents crave for their children to be an improved, more sophisticated version of themselves.

How is the cycle of mirror images shattered? Parents must habitually, methodically drill until the converted, reformed, transformed, mature person arrives. Kids see a demonstration of how to change for the better. If the parents do not try to improve, how can the child know?

"Let your light so shine before men (including your children) in such a way they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven." -- Matthew 5:16!

1 comment:

  1. So...my actions reflect who my Father is.
    When the world about sees my actions, I wonder what they think about who my Father is. I wonder if they see me as a child of God...or...a child of the Earth...or a child of the Devil. I wonder what their perception is.

    ReplyDelete

Place your comments here. They will be moderated. I reserve the right to reject any comment before displaying. I will email you (if I have your address) if there is a problem.