Thursday, January 10, 2013

Whatever is ....

Years ago my father gave me an curious Christmas present – a roll of toilet paper.



Inside a cheerfully wrapped box was a mass of news papers and a single solitary roll of toilet paper. I chucked out the newspaper, picked up the toilet paper roll and pitched it, then restarted my quest for the enormous “special” present destined for my discovery. But the box was barren. Grief-stricken. No surprise. Granny was close. She entreated me to inspect all the papers. I picked up each crumpled newspaper. Nothing here. Then I noticed the toilet paper. It was the wrong color. It had a green hue. Why? I scrutinized, then unrolled it. Once every two laps I found a crisp, new one-dollar bill. By the end of the roll I had $50, a lot of money. I was rich.



Philippians 4:8 is like my curious Christmas present. It can be easily neglected, but is of enormous benefit when thoughtfully 'unrolled.' A quick glance will not suffice.



I will 'unroll' this hidden gift. It can reward you with happiness, joy and contentment. Each part delivers a study fashioned by God precisely for your peace of mind. You must check the links at the bottom of each page, as they appear.



The Christian soldiers fight for the consummate victorious life is not about resisting sin and observing a code of dos and don'ts, but the transforming of who we are into who He is.



A Green Beret in the Lord's army knows the battleground is not in the bar, bedroom, or brawls. It is not in binges, backbiting, boiling over, or bad mouthing. It is not about blame, bickering, betrayal, or begrudging. The fight is not in belittling, boredom, or being a baby.



The fight is for control of the mind. Control creates credibility, certainty, and candor. The controlled mind can be constant, conclusive, celebrated, considerate, courteous, and courageous. Controlled thinking leads to civility, compliments (given and accepted), competence, constraint, and charm. A consecrated mind cheers excellence, commands respect, is composed and carefree. A mind controlled by God will be classy, content, calm, commendable and commending, charitable, cheerful and commissioned.



“Thought control is clearly the practice Paul enjoined here,” Burton Coffman said. “We are responsible for our thoughts and can hold them to high and holy ideals.” (Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament).



A listing of qualities was not Paul's goal, but the development of these traits, first in the mind, then the metamorphosis of life.



When you are ready to become like Him, read the coming posts and consider.



Philippians 4:8 “Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.”

1 comment:

Place your comments here. They will be moderated. I reserve the right to reject any comment before displaying. I will email you (if I have your address) if there is a problem.