Friday, August 6, 2010

Hiroshima -- 65 years ago

At 8:15 a.m. (local) on this day in 1945 the crew of the Enola Gaye, a B-29, dropped the first uranium "atomic bomb" (dubbed by President Harry Truman) on a city of 300,000 unsuspecting Japanese.

I wonder
So many lives. So quickly gone.

What would it have been like to hear Truman's voice, at 11:00 a.m., informing the world about the potential deaths and destruction. After remembering September 11, 2001, I know I would have been in total shock.

There is no doubt Hiroshima was powerful 65 years ago.

What did God see on August 6, at 8:16? Didn't He see thousands suddenly 'popping' into eternity without (or with) knowing His Son? Yes. Did he think it was powerful, as we do? No.

If you think taking so many lives, or the explosive power of the bomb, was powerful, consider this. We have been told of a day when, along with a huge firestorm, everyone (6+ billion) will 'pop' into eternity. Consider how everything you can see (and can't see) will be liquefied (literal translation of 'melt').

My brother Peter asked the right question a few (thousand) years ago. What kind of person should we (I) be....?


Questions: Can you imagine the power of God when he ends what he created? Am I ready? Better yet, are you?

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a reminder that during any mundane task God could intervene. Either by my sudden death or by Jesus coming in the clouds.

    ReplyDelete

Place your comments here. They will be moderated. I reserve the right to reject any comment before displaying. I will email you (if I have your address) if there is a problem.